DASH receives no government or local authority funding. We rely solely on charitable donations and grants (by application). If you would like to become a regular donor, for as little as just £3 a month, you can do so by clicking here.
Regular donations help enormously because they give us the opportunity to be strategic in our planning and therefore offer a more effective service.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of DASH, without them we simply wouldn’t exist! Volunteering for DASH can take many forms, to suit the time/skills you are able to give. We understand that for some, it is difficult to commit to regular hours. Please don’t let this put you off. There are always tasks that can be done away from drop ins, in your own time. Here are some of the tasks currently undertaken by volunteers:
• At drop ins – on reception, in the kitchen, sorting donated goods, packing food bags, basic form-filling and, most importantly, chatting to clients
• Outside of drop ins – giving lifts to essential appointments (solicitors, doctors, home office signings), collecting/delivering donated items (eg baby goods), hospital or home visits for vulnerable clients, accompanying clients on DASH trips (theatres & museums)
• From home – researching a funding bid, writing copy, selling higher-value donated goods online (Ebay), organising events, connecting with potential partners, networking and spreading the word
In 2018/19, we will further volunteer development by:
• Delivering regular training, both internally and via external, accredited agencies
• Establishing an informal network to enable volunteers to connect with each other, share ideas and experiences, and give feedback to DASH.
For all volunteering enquiries, please contact Volunteers Manager Nigel Nyathi on 07833 285928. Full induction will be provided. DBS checks will be undertaken where necessary.
Could you consider fundraising for DASH? Events such as gigs, hikes, dinners, coffee mornings, bake sales, sporting challenges, raffles or head shaves could all raise funds (and awareness) to help us continue our work.
Do you have a spare room? Could you consider becoming a host? DASH offers a hosting service – short and long-term – for asylum seekers and new refugees who are without accommodation. DASH will provide a full induction and continued support for the duration of a stay. We are members of NACCOM, the UK wide No Accommodation Network. Their excellent toolkit on hosting can be found here.
For more detailed information on hosting for DASH, please get in touch using the details on the Contacts page. Please note: the hosting scheme is for adults only.